A day-pack just big enough to carry everything you SHOULD have on a back country day hike.
The Junction pack is named after our hometown and came about over the course of conversations with customers in our retail storefront. For most HPG employees, a belted Umlindi is *the* choice for a backcountry daypack because we're be-prepared kinds of guys who are often off trail. The reality that confronted us in the shop is that a lot of folks day hiking the local trails simply aren't going to carry that much gear. On the other hand, the Tarahumara isn't big enough to hold the 10 essentials PLUS the puffy coat that you ought to have in your pack 3-4 seasons out of the year in Colorado. The Junction was designed to be the first pack we'd point to when somebody walked in the store and said "I want to get a day hiking pack".
Along the way, we added in some things more suited for a less technical group of users. Instead of compression straps with SR buckles, we have a paracord compression panel. We've observed that a whole lot of folks either remove or leave unbuckled the compression straps on the Tarahumara. With the drawcord compression panel on the Junction, use it or not but you're not going to be going down the trail looking like a soup sandwich if you don't use it. We also added a small zippered top pocket which is a pretty common request. The other big thing that folks really want is a dedicated bladder pocket. The Junction has one of those as well which also doubles as a zippered device pocket that will take up to a 13.3" display laptop. Oversized slanted wand pockets round out the package on what we believe is going to become our most popular pack.
- 10"x17" footprint
- Large pack dockable (probably doesn't make sense on Umlindi but could be a great choice for the bigger packs)
- Top loading main compartment
- Oversized slanted wand pockets will each hold a 2 liter water bladder without intruding significantly into interior space
- 9" zippered suspension side pocket fit every 13.3" and smaller display laptop we tried, some of the 13.5" display laptops, and even one of the 14" display laptops. Or one of the pocket framsheets. Or the water bladder folks ask about.
- Small zipped top pocket
- Padded quilted back panel
- Weight: 1.50 lb
- Length: 5.00 in
- Width: 10.00 in
- Height: 17.00 in
- Comparative Volume: 1350ci / 22L
- Chassis Capacity: 50lbs